FIVE SLYTHERIN HEAD CANONS
1. Slytherins are fiercely protective of their first years. Seriously. Messing with a baby Slytherin is comparable to harassing a newborn grizzly bear. It’s a long known fact that first year Slytherins are absolutely off-limits in terms of hazing unless you want to invoke the unholy wrath of the thirty upperclassmen who play the role of overprotective big siblings. Speaking of which - upon being sorted into Slytherin House, each first year student is assigned a fifth year “mentor”, and they remain paired up until the older student graduates.
2. Slytherin is the only house with an organized Alumni donation system. They use the funds they collect to do things like buy fancy new broomsticks for everyone on their Quidditch team, redecorate their common room every other year, and host summertime social events like debutante balls and dinner parties.
3. Their prefects don’t enforce any rules about “being nice to each other” or getting along”, mostly because Slytherin house is a fairly tight-knit community already, but one thing that is never tolerated is questioning if a fellow housemate really belongs in Slytherin. It’s seen as the worst possible insult and moreover it’s always seen as false. The Sorting Hat put everyone in the house for a reason, and the Sorting Hat was enchanted by Slytherin himself, so if you question the Hat you’re questioning Slytherin’s own judgement.
4. Slytherins do not hate all muggleborns. Even the most vindictive and petty Slytherins have grown past this in modern years; Pansy Parkinson’s best friend Tracey Davis was a half-blooded witch. Even though some of the pureblood students might occasionally let the insult “mudblood” slip in regards to muggleborns and halfbloods from other houses, it’s a very present-company-excluded kind of thing. In fact, since the two criteria for entry to Slytherin house are “pureblooded” and “destined for great things”, half-bloods and muggleborns sorted into Slytherin are considered to be perhaps destined for greater things than the rest.
5. In fact, not many Slytherin students actually supported Voldemort during the second war. Most of them did not even support the changes that Snape made during the ‘97-‘98 schoolyear at Hogwarts (especially after the Carrows began to single out the half-blood Slytherins for punishment, which was the worst possible betrayal in the eyes of the pureblooded students). However, their loyalty to their parents and house both meant that many of them stood quietly by while the war happened. Many of them believed that they would be on the winning side if not the right one, and that speaking out against Voldemort would only get themselves and their loved ones hurt or killed.
More HP head canons:
Harry Potter Challenge » Day 8 - A scene you really wanted to be in the movies, but wasn’t.
“I don’t think you’re a waste of space.”
If Harry had not seen Dudley’s lips move, he might not have believed it. As it was, he stared at Dudley for several seconds before accepting that it must have been his cousin who had spoken; for one thing, Dudley had turned red. Harry was embarrassed and astonished himself.
“Well… er… thanks, Dudley.”
Dudley held out his large, pink hand.
“Blimey, Dudley,” said Harry over Aunt Petunia’s renewed sobs, “did the dementors blow a different personality into you?”
“Dunno,” muttered Dudley, “See you, Harry.”
“Yea …” said Harry, raking Dudley’s hand and shaking it. “Maybe. Take care, Big D.”
Dudley nearly smiled.
#WHY THE BLOODY HELL WASN’T THIS IN THE MOVIE#HELLO#CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT#OR DO WE NOT DO THAT NOW SO WE CAN INCLUDE SHITTY 3D DEATH SCENES THAT NEVER HAPPENED
*SHOUTING TO THE HEAVENS*
Bloomsbury Children’s Books revealed the complete set of new Harry Potter covers today! They’re so beautiful. Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite, if you couldn’t tell. They’re published on 1st September in paperback and hardback, and illustrated by Jonny Duddle.
If you were asleep when I posted these this yesterday morning, here they are again! Which is your favourite?
harry potter series + a short summary
FAVORITE THING THAT HAPPENED ON THIS SHOW EVER
HP Genderswap: The Big Seven
Felicity Jones as Harry Potter, Lily Cole as Ron Weasley, Daniel Sharman as Hermione Granger, Saoirse Ronan as Draco Malfoy, Cameron Monaghan as Ginny Weasley, Anna Popplewell as Neville Longbottom, Jamie Campbell Bower as Luna Lovegood
FUCK YES. GIMMMEEEE
and an appearance from the bitchy snitch